Brown Album - Primus

Before I start this review, I have to say it. This album is hands down my favorite Primus album I listened to so far. "Antipop" was great, but this album is phenomenal. In this album, Primus explores new territories, song wise. How I even started to review this album was a shocker. I was pretty busy one night and for some unknown reason (even to myself), I decided to listen to Primus's "Brown Album." At first, I was unsure of what to expect because I've heard that many Primus fans disliked this album because it was extremely different from their previous album's. In my honest opinion, this album is 100 times better than there last album before "Brown Album." That album was "Tales from the Punchbowl"(which I also listened to that night). "Tales from the Punchbowl" was awful. I felt like I was listening to more of an orchestra, than anything. By that statement, I mean that there were hardly any songs with lyrics in them. Not only does that make me skeptical to review an album when one song has no lyrics to them, it makes me a little disappointed. I wasn't raised on classical music. I like listening to songs with lyrics in them. This does not mean I dislike classical music, on the contrary, it's that I would much rather listen to a modern day rock tune than pretty much anything. In this case, classical music (Anyway, back to the review). After listening to the entire album, Primus is now ranked my second favorite band. In the lead is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and behind them is Green Day. That is how much I loved the album. Anyway, this week on "Ready to Rock...and Review!," I'll be reviewing Primus's fifth studio album entitled "Brown Album."


(To start this review off, I'll show a list that contains my favorite songs to my least favorite songs on this album. If a song is number 1, that means it was my favorite song. No other songs from the band's other albums will be shown on this list. Only songs that are on this album will be reviewed. Finally, I will briefly explain why my list is ordered the way it is. In other words, I will briefly explain why this song is ranked this way.)

The List:
  1. Shake Hands with Beef - This was a pretty obvious choice for my favorite song on this album. It's "funky", it has an awesome guitar solo, and the drums are "killer." I have no idea what this song means, but I got to tell you that if you ever listen to Primus, you must listen to this song.
  2. Over the Falls - Every time I listen to this song, I think of a water ride at a theme park. Although this song has nothing to do with water or water falls, it has such an awesome sound to it. It sounds like there is a little bit of country to the song. Just a tad bit. 
  3. Golden Boy - To sum up this song in two words, it has such a "funky" bass. Not only that, but it has amazing guitar riffs. The cherry on top of this song is that it tells a story of someone who committed murder. Songs that typically deal with that subject don't usually have such an awesome bass and guitar part. 
  4. Hats Off - I like the smooth and soft, fast pace rock in this song. It sounds so nice to hear this. It's like candy to my ears.
  5. Kalamazoo - The lyrics are so clever and the groove is incredibly "funky." I wish Primus released more material like this because, personally, this song was amazing.
  6. Bob's Party Time Lounge - I really like the intro in the beginning. It feels very comedic. I'm glad it gets upbeat though. That bass riff in the song really is catchy. The lyrics are very amusing. It's pretty "funky" as well. That guitar near the end of the song is SO killer. Wow!
  7. Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread - This song sounds like something The Beatles would create. It's not a bad song. Actually, it is quite catchy. My only problem with this song is that the lyrics sound like nonsense.
  8. Restin' Bones - The drums are rocking! Very catchy! I feel like this song needs more instruments or sounds. It sounds pretty empty.
  9. Coddingtown - Whatever stringed instrument that is in the song, I like it. I like the yodeling as well. It fits the feeling of this song very well. I'm not a big yodeling fan, believe me. I hate it, but this song does it well. It may not even be considered yodeling but potato, tomato, whatever.
  10. Puddin' Taine - Although this has a country feeling to it. I love it that the song is upbeat. Not only does it sound upbeat. I think there might even be a hint of yodel in this song. Just thinking. That guitar is so awesome to hear mixed with an upbeat, country song.
  11. The Return of Sathington Willoughby - I like how they allude to FDR in this song, but my biggest problem with this is that they repeat the same chorus for so long. After a while the song just gets boring.
  12. Fisticuffs - I'm not a big fan of this song. Biggest reason for that being that it has a calm/creepy feeling to it. The guitar in this song is very interesting. I like its "twangy" sound.
  13. Camelback Cinema - That unusual sound, the drums, the guitar, the bass, this song just sounds too weird for me. I don't like that "toot" in the song. Other than that, the drums and the guitar are "killer." The bass sounds out of place in this song though.
  14. The Chastising of Renegade - I know I say this about at least one song in every album review, but this song just isn't memorable. Not only that, it's not catchy.
  15. Arnie - This song just sounds like typical album filler. The lyrics don't really say anything. I feel like the lyrics are nonsense. Although I like the groove of this song, there is nothing to it that makes it stand out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Dollar Bill, Y'all $ - Limp Bizkit

Antipop - Primus