Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

To be honest I wasn't a really big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan before listening to this album. I preferred to surround myself with music from my previous favorite band Green Day and classic rock gems. I was even skeptical about listening to the Chili Peppers because there were only two songs I knew they performed that I enjoyed. These songs were "Under the Bridge" and "Give It Away." Once I started this album though, I knew there was no going back to the music I used to listen to. Every time I listened to it, I thought I was heading on vacation to the beaches. It has a great "traveling feeling" to it that I love. Not only that, but I love the funky riffs in this album. Most of the songs on this album were catchy and had a beautiful hook to them. I say most because not every song was a masterpiece. No more songs like "Hooked On A Feeling" by Blue Swede, or "American Idiot" by Green Day. I wanted to listen to every song on the Chili Peppers album. So get ready because this week I'll be reviewing the Red Hot Chili Peppers seventh studio album, "Californication."



(To start this review off, I'll show a list that contains my favorite songs to my least favorite songs on this album. If a song is number 1, that means it was my favorite song. No other songs from the band's other albums will be shown on this list. Only songs that are on this album will be reviewed. Finally, I will briefly explain why my list is ordered the way it is. In other words, I will briefly explain why this song is ranked this way.)

 The List:
  1. Get on Top - It has has a wonderful mixing of funky bass and guitar, while having glorious "rap" playing over the two.
  2. Californication - Although the bass and guitar play off each other fantastically in this song, it is very slow when starting a beat on the drums, however, I do love the drum's intensity in some parts of the song. The vocals are intense and mellow during the right times of the song.
  3. Purple Stain - I'm not the biggest fan of the monotone vocals, but the extremely funky guitar makes up for them, as well as the harmony between Anthony and John.
  4. Around the World - The sounds made by Anthony near the end of the song was just lazy when it came to lyrics. This song honestly sounds like two separate songs merged into one. It seems like there is no bridge in between each big part of the song. You got extreme bass for one moment and a mellow jam for the next. However I love that I can rock out to this song.
  5. Otherside - The vocals in this song are some of the best vocals I have ever heard. Very mellow throughout most of the song, however, I love the funk/rock sound near the end and the awesome guitar.
  6. Road Trippin' - If there were no guitar in this song, I would honestly dislike it very much. Same goes for the vocals, you need both to make this song beautiful.
  7. Scar Tissue - The guitar has a "voice" that anyone can hear. The lyrics, on the other hand, are just too repetitive.
  8. Emit Remmus - They could have done so much more with this song, the bass is amazing. I love the bass and that's about it.
  9. This Velvet Glove - Although there are no lyrics at the start of this song for a while, I love the acoustic and electric guitar. It is very calming. I enjoy that sound. I wish they just kept the calmness throughout the entire song, but they had to make it funky. I like funk, but at the right times.
  10. Parallel Universe - Nothing really stands out in this song, it just seems like it is there on the album. I'm not saying it's a bad song, it is just alright.
  11. Savior - Throughout the entire song, the sound is mostly the same. It always sounds like it's building up to a different sound. 
  12. Easily - Nothing stands out about this song, it is repetitive and just seems like filler for the album.
  13. I Like Dirt - The lyrics are incredibly lazy and this song tries to mix funk with laziness, which I hate. I like the funk aspect of this song, but other than that, it is not my cup of tea.
  14. Right on Time - The instrumentals are too quick and really aren't that catchy. It just sounds like gibberish. It is literally the definition of album filler.
  15. Porcelain - I like the psychedelic feel to it, but the lyrics just sound like a big pile of drugs. The lyrics are not that pretty. I'm also not the biggest fan of slow songs. I want to feel pumped.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Album - Primus

Three Dollar Bill, Y'all $ - Limp Bizkit

In Utero - Nirvana