Dookie - Green Day

Before I first listened to "Dookie" by Green Day, I wasn't very interested in specific bands. Sure, bands such as the Beatles had a few great songs, but I liked music from all different types of genres. Some genres of music I liked was Pop, Reggae, Rock, and Funk. However, Dookie by Green Day, truly introduced me to Pop/Punk. I listened to a few Green Day songs on the radio before I was introduced to "Dookie," but I always forgot to look up their albums. I heard from somewhere (I still can't remember to this day where) that "Dookie" by Green Day was an awesome album, so I decided to give it a try. After finishing the album, I thought it was alright. It didn't stick with me at first, but the more I listened to it, the more I wanted to hear more Green Day. I went through a Green Day phase in high school. I listened to their albums such as "American Idiot," "Insomnia," and "Warning." However, this Green Day period wouldn't last forever because of two reasons. The first reason was that Green Day's later albums started to sound alright. The second reason was that I found a new favorite band, which was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Green Day was hyping up their new album for 2020, and I was so ready to listen to it. Once I started that album though, I never finished it because of how awful and different it was compared to Green Day's earlier work. In my opinion, it wasn't Pop/Punk music. It was literally mostly Pop, and a bit of Punk. I hated it. I then tried listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the rest is history. I tell this story, because looking back at this I learned a very important lesson. Listen to different types of music because you might be listening to your new favorite band/singer the next time you open Spotify or crank up the radio. I never in a million years would have guessed that the Red Hot Chili Peppers would become my new favorite band. Although I don't listen to Green Day as much as I used to, it will still be one of my favorite bands of all time. So get ready because this week I'll be reviewing Green Day's third studio album, "Dookie."


(To start this review off, I'll show a list that contains my favorite songs to my least favorite songs on this album. If a song is number 1, that means it was my favorite song. No other songs from the band's other albums will be shown on this list. Only songs that are on this album will be reviewed. Finally, I will briefly explain why my list is ordered the way it is. In other words, I will briefly explain why this song is ranked this way.)

The List:
  1. When I Come Around- This is my favorite song on this album because it has a classic Pop/Punk sound. Both elements of the genres are equal in this song. 10/10! 
  2. Longview- The chill beginning/ending of this song I love it. I had a problem with this type of song when it came to the Red Hot Chili Peppers because Rock/Rap/Funk does not go from completely chill to crazy loud Rock/Rap/Funk. Also the melody just wasn't right for RHCP to do that. Anyway, if you like chill beginnings to intense Punk loudness then to chill endings, then this song is for you. This song also has an iconic bass line.
  3. She- This song is very similar to the song "Longview" except it just doesn't have the head-banging feeling that Longview, however, this song has a great tune.
  4. Welcome to Paradise- This version is a lot worse, than their "Kerplunk" version. Their "Kerplunk" version has a garageband sound to it. This version sounds to clean and polished.
  5. Basket Case- I love the tune of this song however, there is just nothing really unique about it.
  6. In The End- If I had not heard Jaded before this song I would have loved it.
  7. Emenius Sleepus- Has a great tune, and I love the middle part of it.
  8. F.O.D.- It hardly has a Pop/Punk sound.
  9. Chump- Sounds to similar to Emenius Sleepus
  10. Burnout- Great start to the album to slowly reel in the audience.
  11.  Coming Clean- It sounds too repetitive
  12. Sassafras Roots- Sounds like filler and is very repetitive. Nothing special about it.
  13. Pulling Teeth- Has a country feeling. I hate country.
  14. All By Myself - FILLER!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Album - Primus

Three Dollar Bill, Y'all $ - Limp Bizkit

In Utero - Nirvana