Kerplunk - Green Day

When I think of Green Day albums, I think of "American Idiot" and "Dookie." The last album that comes to my mind is "Kerplunk." The only reason I think that way is because there is nothing really notable about "Kerplunk." Other than "Welcome to Paradise," that's pretty much it. Even that song is overshadowed by the version on "Dookie." To reiterate what I said before, there is nothing special about this album. For some gut feeling though, I decided to review (very similar as to how my review began with the Primus album "Antipop"). I don't think I've ever even heard a Green Day fan say that "Kerplunk" was there favorite album. My first time of hearing about Kerplunk happened during my senior year of high. While listening to their latest album "Father of All...," one of my friends told me that this sounded nothing like their earlier albums. The albums he referenced where "1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" and "Kerplunk." If I've said this before, I apologize, but before listening to this album, I was in shock that "Welcome to Paradise" debut on this album. I thought to myself, "wasn't this song on 'Dookie'?" Anyway, this week on "Ready to Rock...and Review!," I'll be reviewing Green Day's second studio album titled "Kerplunk."



(To start this review off, I'll show a list that contains my favorite songs to my least favorite songs on this album. If a song is number 1, that means it was my favorite song. No other songs from the band's other albums will be shown on this list. Only songs that are on this album will be reviewed. Finally, I will briefly explain why my list is ordered the way it is. In other words, I will briefly explain why this song is ranked this way.)


The List:
  1. Welcome to Paradise - I know this song was on their album "Dookie," but I love this version of the song SO much better it has that "garage band" feel  to it that you cannot replicate in another take of this song. Well done! 
  2. My Generation - I love this song. I know it's a cover of The Who song, but I still love this song and my honest opinion of this cover is that Green Day did a great job.
  3. Words I Might Have Ate - That acoustic guitar sounds amazing. To tell you the truth, I have a soft spot for fast pace acoustic guitar songs. My experience while listening to this song was made even better when they added in clapping.
  4. Best Thing in Town - Wow! This song is pretty good. Not going to lie, this does not sound like Green Day at all. That fast pace punk rock sound is phenomenal. After listening to the guitar solo, I was impressed. This was because I usually don't hear guitar solos in Green Day songs that often.
  5. Strangeland - I really like the spontaneousness and somewhat raspy vocals of this song. 
  6. Sweet Children - This song sounds too similar to "Welcome to Paradise."
  7. One for the Razorbacks - It has this tune I can't get out of my head. I know the beginning might seem like this song might suck, but it quickly redeems itself. Also, love the guitar riff.
  8. Private Ale - Sounds a little bit similar to another song of theirs called "Walking Contradiction" on their album "Insomniac." I really enjoy that little base line in the song.
  9. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? - The fast pace action of this song and the punk rock feeling to it is awesome, but it's not the best thing I've listened to by Green Day, not even close.
  10. Christie Road - This song is very mellow in the beginning. To be honest, I like it. It's different. The change in sound near the end of the song is nice because that mellow sound will get old after a while. 
  11. 2000 Light Years Away - It's a pretty catchy song, not going to lie, but I don't like the little side vocals during the song. For example, at the "dream about her" lyric, I hate the feeling. It doesn't fit with the song.
  12. 80 - The only holding this song together is the bass. It's super pleasant to the ear, but the song just isn't memorable, making it not stand well on its own.
  13. Android - Same as "80" it just doesn't stand well on it's own. Also there is not much to say about the song. It just sound like typical album filler. There is one elephant in the room I can't ignore, why is there a toilet flush in the song?
  14. One of My Lies - There's not much to this song. It isn't bad and it isn't good. It's alright. It's Just not catchy.
  15. Know One Knows - The only thing I like about this song is the soothing guitar. What else is there? Nothing!
  16. Strangeland - I really like the spontaneousness and somewhat raspy vocals of this song. 
  17. Dominated Love Slave - I know I will probably some of you, but I absolutely despise most country. The keyword is "most." There is some country I like, but other than that, it's alright. This song is just awful in every way possible. One things for certain and that is it has a country feeling to it which makes me want to destroy this album. I get it, it's supposed to have a comedic feeling, but I absolutely hate it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Dollar Bill, Y'all $ - Limp Bizkit

Brown Album - Primus

Antipop - Primus