Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Primus

Never in a million years would I have thought I would review a Primus album. If you've never heard any Primus song, then I recommend you check out their most popular songs, if you don't, then you're in for a surprise.  I think I'm still unsure of my overall opinion of Primus. Don't get me wrong, I love their music and the catchy songs they make, but some of their songs are incredibly unusual when it comes to the way they sound and the lyrics of them. I always think to myself when I'm about to listen to a new Primus song that it's a complete mystery as to what I'm going to hear. One moment you could be hearing a completely "regular" sounding song, and the next moment you could be hearing circus music. I say the term "regular," because when a Primus song comes on, you know it's for sure a Primus song. Ever since I started this album review blog, I always told myself that I was going to review Primus, and finally, the day has come. I thought to myself that I was I was going to review the Green Day album "Warning" this week, but for some odd reason I threw a "curve-ball" and decided to review Primus .I always heard that "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" was a very popular album by Primus. So why not review the most popular albums of a band first, then review their terrible albums later. This is so I don't get a bad impression of the band at first. Primus is the type of band that starting on their weird and "circus-like" songs, will turn you away from them. My favorite song from them is not on this album, which makes me a little disappointed, but it has my second favorite song by Primus. Anyway, without further a do, this week on "Ready to Rock...and Review!," I'll be reviewing the Primus's second studio album titled "Sailing the Seas of Cheese."



(To start this review off, I'll show a list that contains my favorite songs to my least favorite songs on this album. If a song is number 1, that means it was my favorite song. No other songs from the band's other albums will be shown on this list. Only songs that are on this album will be reviewed. Finally, I will briefly explain why my list is ordered the way it is. In other words, I will briefly explain why this song is ranked this way.)

The List:
  1. Sgt. Baker - I love the rock feeling of this song. It start out as unusual, but then they somehow turn it into this awesome jam. That is fantastic.
  2. Tommy the Cat - Although the guitar is killer in this song, the bass solo near the end of the song, makes it a million times better. Seriously this is probably the best bass solo in a song I have ever heard.
  3. American Life - The bass is what makes this song so cool. The repetition of the bass lick makes it sound phenomenal because it has two elements it doesn't get too repetitive, and they add to the repetition, making the song something completely new. I don't even notice how much the bass line is repeated because Primus adds on to it. It's not the only thing they play. That's why I believe other songs fail with repetition because they never add on to whatever is repeated.
  4. Eleven - It's just a comedic song that has an awesome "head banging" feel to it.
  5. Is It Luck? - The bass is incredibly, and I mean INCREDIBLY, fast. It's so cool, but the reason this song isn't higher on my list is because it doesn't add on to the repetitive bass line. It's a shame, because they could've made this song just a little bit better.
  6. Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers - Very similar as to the song "Eleven," I love the feeling to it. I also love the chanting at the end because that just makes you want to rock out even more.
  7. Jerry Was A Race Car Driver - This song is a rocking song, but it is just too weird for me. I love the instruments in this song, but it's just too weird.
  8. Fish On - This is one of the only types of songs where I know it has a storyline that continues from a previous song. This song is supposed to continue the story told from the song "John the Fisherman, " from Primus's first studio album "Frizzle Fry." Although I love the beginning of the story, in other words, I think the song "John the Fisherman" is great, I don't enjoy this song, other than the beginning of it, when there is no singing.
  9. Seas of Cheese - I love the sailing/pirate theme of this song. My only problem with the song is that it is too short.
  10. Here Come The Bastards - Okay, this is where I start to review the absolute GARBAGE of this album. This song just isn't catchy. I would rather listen to a blender than listen to this song. Not only because it isn't catchy, it literally is repetitive, and to some, it could be considered filler.
  11. Los Bastardos - It is literally just a continuation of the previous song.
  12. Sathington Waltz - It just sounds like hypnotic music, nothing to it.
  13. Grandad's Little Ditty - Just a man singing, that's it. No joke! That's it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Dollar Bill, Y'all $ - Limp Bizkit

Brown Album - Primus

Antipop - Primus