In Utero - Nirvana

To get this review started off, FIRST, like any Nirvana fan I was introduced to Nirvana by "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Just kidding! Anyway, Nirvana was always, to me, like one of those bands just out there. It was like one of those foods I ate and thought "it was just O.K." After listening to this album though, my opinion of Nirvana has remained the same. My honest opinion is that they are overrated, like so many other bands, but just because they are overrated doesn't mean I hate them. Was it my favorite album I reviewed? No! Not by a long shot! I did not hate it though. It was actually better than I expected. My biggest problem with this album though was that there was too much screaming in some of the songs. Grunge is supposed to be messy, but I just thought it was sometimes unnecessary. To continue my other point, just like The Beatles, they are so overrated. This is not my favorite band in the world because I know there are bands like Primus and the Red Hot Chili Peppers that don't get enough credit. I tend to like unique music that has a twist, and those bands seem to have it. Nirvana, on the other hand, sounds like a typical rock band in the 90's. Not like Green Day, but you know it is 90's. That is probably my biggest issue with the band. It's that people overrate them, when in actuality they are just alright. With that rant out of the way. I will explain why I chose to review this album. I didn't review their previous album because everyone knows that album by the overplayed "Smells Like Teen Spirit." So I chose their final studio album because it's not completely unheard of, but on the other hand a few Nirvana fans know about it. Anyway, this week on "Ready to Rock...and Review!," I'll be reviewing Nirvana's third and final studio album entitled "In Utero."


(To start this review off, I'll show a list that contains my favorite songs to my least favorite songs on this album. If a song is number 1, that means it was my favorite song. No other songs from the band's other albums will be shown on this list. Only songs that are on this album will be reviewed. Finally, I will briefly explain why my list is ordered the way it is. In other words, I will briefly explain why this song is ranked this way.)

The List:
  1. Rape Me - Although this song has an inappropriate title. I love the rock feeling of this song so much. I literally want to head bang at the end of the song because of the angry/rocking tone at the end of the song. Although some might see it as "too edgy," it is nothing compared to the songs of today.
  2. Heart-Shaped Box - That chill feeling to the song at parts is amazing. The distorted guitar during the main riff of the song is so cool. This song is phenomenal.
  3. Dumb - I really like this song because it's more chill than most of the Nirvana songs. I also think I hear another string instrument besides a guitar and bass. I can't point it out, but I love it. I'm surprised how good this song is with a title like "Dumb." 
  4. All Apologies - This is a classic Nirvana song. I really love the guitar in this song and its lyrics. It's not too hardcore rock and it's not to soft, it's just right. Seriously though, this is one of my favorite Nirvana songs.
  5. Very Ape - I like the fast pace, calm rock in this song. It reminds me of something that The Who or The Beatles would've done. It's pretty good.
  6. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle - I really don't know how Kurt Cobain keeps his voice. The only memorable part of this song is the "raspy voice parts" during the chorus. It's a good song and somewhat memorable
  7. Serve the Servants - I like the grunge/rock feeling to it. It has a distorted sound during some parts that I like because it fits well. However, I don't think this song would be a go to song if I was going to listen to Nirvana
  8. Pennyroyal Tea - I know this is a chill song, but the only think I really like about the song is the chorus. Other than that, it's O.K. 
  9. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter - Is the song really catchy? No! There are pretty lazy lyrics in this song, but it has that fast pace rock sound which I really enjoy, so I'll give it credit there. I also love that distortion in the song.
  10. Scentless Apprentice - I would love this song so much more if it didn't contain so much incessant screaming. I get this is a grunge/rock band, but come on! Really?
  11. Milk It - I'm not a big fan of this song because the song jumps around from chord to chord. They are not small jumps, they are GIANT jumps! By that I mean the range between the chords is pretty big. 
  12. Tourette's - I was honestly shocked with the direction of this song. The instruments in this song I really love, but Kurt's vocals honestly sound like raspy gibberish. This song has so much potential, but they botched it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Dollar Bill, Y'all $ - Limp Bizkit

Brown Album - Primus

Antipop - Primus